::: Trixyy :::

Butterflies and Broken Wings. :: Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent about things that matter ::

Monday, September 04, 2006

Stereotype.

The boyfriend mentioned something really strange over the weekend.
Well, perhaps he didn't really spell it out per se, I gathered much from what he'd said and the way he reacted. I only thought about this as I reflect about the weekend that passed this morning on my way to work. I have this strange habit of thinking back to the most recent weekend and thinking through the stuff done, things said etc.

So this really strange bit came up as part of my reflection this morning.

I hadn't noticed it when it had happened. It sort of popped out when I started linking events together.

Anyhow, Friday we were heading out to DXO with his friends (and Ashley), which by the way is a really cool place to hangout.

1. Ladies Night (read: Free entry and drinks for us, the privileged princesses)
2. Live Band. This I reckon this comes with age, the older we get, the more we dig livebands, instead of the loud thumping music, horrible dancers (self included) and lecherous smiles of the not-very-good-looking males. So liveband provides a very healthy alternative.
3. Paranomic view of the CBD as the background for the liveband.(now that we both came out of CBD, we're missing it- Ok, maybe only me)
4. Open space, fine weather. The liveband were playing their music in the outdoors (with the view behind). No 2nd hand smoke, fantastic weather... what more can we ask for?
5. Cute lead singer with vocals better than Joakim Gomez.
6. Female company. Not that I hate hanging out with his friends, but I like it when there's someone I can talk to (ok, gossip). I mean, you can't expect me to check guys out with a group of guys right?
7. Did I say free entry?

So enroute to this fantastic place, the boyfriend received an sms, and he went on to mutter the strangest thing... (maybe not the strangest thing, but one of the stranger ones la)

读这么多书 for what?

He said this after reading that sms.

Along that line, he mentioned "degree" and "honours", which had me really curious and pretty much annoyed. Because he is fond of stereotyping (that's why he's such a major poser). Did you know, he stereotypes convent girls and JC students?? And I am his typical stereotype (wth.)

Anyway, he showed me that sms, and it simply said, "where the fuck"

Apparently, the boyfriend thinks that it's a tad bit too vulgar.
Hello, coming from the neighbourhood school ah beng, "where the fuck" is vulgar? You gotta be kidding me.

From that, I conclude that the boyfriend (also known as the neighbourhood school ah beng) correlates vulgarity with an individual's educational level. According to him, the higher your educational level, the lesser the usage of vulgarities. This, I think is a very strange assumption/theory.

Although plausible.
But really, does that mean that if I've studied only up to PSLE, I am the Queen of Hokkien vulgarities? (Or perhaps an ah lian) Well, this may be so, because we see ah lians roaming around the streets without much education. But, this does not mean that all ah lians are lowly educated. Because there are some graduate ah lians. Or at least to me, they are ah lians la.

This is yet another classic example of his stereotyping. He stereotypes people according to their educational level. Although he doesn't say much of those without proper education, he tends to assume those with degrees, behave in an entirely different way (or should behave differently).

And I can safely say, he does that in hope that when he gets his degree, he would have upgraded himself from the neighbourhood school ah beng that he really is.

Education only teaches you this much, the rest is really up to yourself. The fact that vulgarities are not taught in school, but picked up nonetheless proves that it doesn't matter how educated (or uneducated) you are, but really the environment that you are in.

I am not defending vulgarities-sprouting folks (degree or not), I just feel that there is no direct link between education and vulgarities. I hate it when presumptions are made that degree holders have to behave in a certain way or refrain from saying certain things because they are seen to "know more".
Education only trains the mind to be more receptive to information and knowledge it does not transform any individual into an elite human race.

Being educated is one thing, utilising it is another.
Same goes for the uneducated. It's not how little education you've received it's how you are utilising what had been given.

That aside, I am seriously contemplating borrowing money from loansharks and head to Melbourne for masters in the near future.
What are the interest rates of loansharks these days.. any idea?

The urge is.. very strong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home